An attempted military coup was foiled by Sudan’s ruling military council and no fewer than 16 officers were arrested, state-run TV reported late on Thursday.
The development comes as the governing military council and protest movement leaders were in discussions on a power sharing deal.
“Officers and soldiers from the army and National Intelligence and Security Service, some of them retired, were trying to carry out a coup,” General Jamal Omar of the ruling military council said in a statement broadcast live on state television.
“The regular forces were able to foil the attempt,” he said, but did not say when the attempt was made.
May like to read: Fresh Attack: Shi’ites clash with Police again, five arrested
No more details were immediately available.
The military and a pro-democracy coalition agreed last week on a joint sovereign council that will rule for three years while elections are organised.
Both sides say a diplomatic push by allies was key to ending a standoff that raised fears of civil war.
Sudan has been in political deadlock since the overthrow of autocratic president Omar al-Bashir in April.
The transition has been a bloody one, as pro-democracy supporters who were camped outside the military headquarters for weeks demanding a civilian-led interim administration, were brutally dispersed.
Opposition medics say more than 100 people were killed when the military’s feared Rapid Support Forces violently cleared the protest sit-in. Officials put the death toll at 62.
Under the reported deal, five seats would go to the military and five to civilians, with an additional seat given to a civilian agreed upon by both sides.
It was expected the final details of the power-sharing agreement would be announced on Thursday, but it’s unclear that will now happen.